We believe that the response to the COVID-19 pandemic must adhere to six core principles:
(1) Protect lives. Protect lives through urgent, large-scale and informed investment in COVID-19 tests and life-saving medical supplies.
(2) Protect workers. Protect workers in essential occupations, including medical staff, with equipment, priority testing and distancing safeguards; ensure no one is forced to go out to do non-essential work; protect employment rights.
(3) Protect living needs. Protect access to food, shelter, a safe space to self-isolate, and essential utilities for all.
(4) Protect all the people. Protect the most vulnerable and deprived to safeguard their own and everyone’s lives; protect the ability of impoverished countries to feed and care for their people; protect global access to cheap vaccines and life-saving medicine when developed.
(5) Protect civil liberties. Protect society from the misuse or unnecessary prolongation of emergency powers introduced to address COVID-19.
(6) Protect from a recurrence. Protect from inequalities and precariousness; from underinvestment in healthcare and welfare; and from the regime of corporate patenting of vital medicines. Those exacerbate pandemics and risk devastating effects for the global poor and marginalised in the COVID-19 crisis.
Sign up here
Left Unity is active in movements and campaigns across the left, working to create an alternative to the main political parties.
Left Unity is a member of the European Left Party.
Events and protests from around the movement, and local Left Unity meetings.
Online – Tuesday 2 June, 7:00 pm
What’s going on: Fatal Inequalities and Covid-19
NHS Staff Voices public meeting – speakers include: Gary Younge – journalist and campaigner, Dame Donna Kinnair – RCN, Dr Sonia Adesara – Keep Our NHS Public and NHS Staff Voices
Sign up to the Left Unity email newsletter.
Get the latest Left Unity resources.